Why did you write HIRE YOURSELF?
I work great people every day that have been thrown into career transition that isn’t their fault or they are miserable. I wrote the book to share with them an alternative career – Franchise ownership. So in the book:
- Explain franchising
- Help them understand what characteristics they need to be a franchisee
- Teach them how to evaluate and select proven franchise business
- Provide advice on how to be a successful franchisee
What make you an expert on franchising:
- Raised in franchise business (father / grandfather were Ford franchisees)
- Worked for Ford Motor Company ..a franchisor for 17 years (most of my executive positions supported the franchise dealers)
- Owned a Master Franchise in the junk removal industry
- Helped hundreds of people explore franchise ownership
Understanding when we talk about franchising most people think of franchisees Subway, McDonalds and Dunkin Donuts…but tell us about franchise in other industries
- There are over 3000 franchise concepts in almost every industry. The touch are lives daily:
- On a Saturday morning you may get up to attend a pilates class at 7 AM, pick up a cup of coffee and breakfast sandwich, get your hair cut, drop your kids off martial arts call so that you can get you oil changed, pick up your dry cleaning and drop off some packages……after picking up the kids you go get fast casual pizza.
How do people know if they have what it take to be a successful franchisee?
Having the 5 C’s will help you be a successful franchisee:
- Capacity: Some level of business acumen (understanding numbers and people)
- Character: Are you of good character? Track record of doing the right thing
- Capital: you must have adequate capital
- Customer Satisfaction: you have experience taking care of customers
- Corporation: can you work with others and follow of a system
They have be willing to work hard and do whatever it takes to be successful
So if someone is interested in exploring franchise ownership how do they find a good franchise business to invest in?
- I would encourage someone interested in exploring a franchise business to work with an experience franchise consultant associated with organizations like FranChoice.
- Going on the internet and requesting information from a site that offer information on several franchises is a mistake. Your information will be sold multiple time and you will want to disconnect your phone.
Do you need a lot of money to be able to invest in a franchise business? Are loans available to help people capitalize their businesses?
- You always need money to invest in a business. But in you have some capital (minimum of $50K) and good credit ……you have plenty of options. There is a lot of capital currently available through the SBA loans – I like the SBA Express loan
Where do you see the franchise industry going in the next couple of years?
- If the economy hold up and capital remains available, I see continued growth in franchise business ownership. Franchising play a big part of the United States’ economy and creation of jobs.